Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A project we actually finished!




Jeff and I have known for a while that our retaining wall in our backyard was in need of
 repair.  So we got a plan and actually started and finished in the same weekend.  I know it is a shock to us even!  Samantha was gone for the weekend, but Mackenzie was right in the middle of everything and being a great helper.
  We had to tear out about 25 railroad ties, but thankfully most of them were rotting out and weren't as heavy as they could have been.  Jeff had the new wall design, which called for digging out a hole about two feet into the dirt we are trying to retain.  I worked the shovel so much that weekend that I had blisters and calluses already started.  Not to mention that I could hardly close my hand for a couple of days.
  

 Mackenzie is sitting next to a hole helping us fill it in with the dirt. (Yep, we put her to work- Mommy and Daddy were tired!)  She liked throwing the dirt into the hole.  She loved being outside for almost two
 days straight.  We did have a hard time getting her to keep her shoes on though.  She loves to take them off and then every once in a while she wants them back on. We had fun and actually got the new wall in before the weekend was over. YEAH!







1 comment:

Julie said...

The new wall looks great!! Isn't it great to have an engineer as a husband! They can do anything.

Those 2 videos were unbelieveable!!! I'm so glad you had them on here. I just sat amazed at her story and her boldness!